Getting a buyer to click the link to your Shopify webpage from search results, a banner, or an ad is only part of the deal. Motivating customers to stay and make purchases is yet another story. In a brick-and-mortar shop, owners have all the eager-to-please sales assistants to guide customers through the assortment and persuade them to buy. In an online store, merchants have to rely on product recommendations and conversion techniques.
Popups can be both a means to convert leads into loyal customers and a tool to grow revenue. However, both product recommendations and shop assistants can get annoying and bring sales down unless you know how to integrate them efficiently into the shopping flow.
This article shares how popups can benefit your Shopify store and how you can set them up to advise on complementary merchandise with the Advanced Bundle Products plugin.
Why Popups for Recommendations?
Whether at Shopify or other eCommerce platforms, merchants use a whole bunch of instruments and techniques to recommend products and services. Some prefer the good old suggestive selling via emails, which works just fine to attract buyers but is not that efficient to stimulate in-store purchases. Others leverage state-of-the-art technology, such as live chats and recommendation engines, but those are hardly affordable for an average shop owner.
Another common method to prompt buyers to specific merchandise is to integrate recommendation popups into the website flow. These can be added anywhere—on the home page, product or category pages, in the shopping cart, or at checkout. The location depends on the exact goals that shop owners pursue. For instance, if one is trying to engage customers and collect emails, greeting popups with discounted offers is a perfect solution.
Popups can demonstrate any complementary or related merchandise you’d want buyers to see without redirecting to other pages. In addition, eCommerce merchants can make use of the following benefits:
- Conversion rates go up by 44%, which translates into more customers staying with your store and returning to make purchases.
- Popups improve navigation and search, cross-linking from home or category to specific product pages, the shopping cart, and back.
- Suggestions help customers to know their way around the store and through the assortment, which results in greater satisfaction from the shopping experience.
- Popup ads enable shop owners to promote slow-moving products and familiarize shoppers with new items.
In fact, use cases for popups and associated benefits are more than just those listed above. The suggestion type is a nice way to inform customers about discounts or special promotions while playing the urgency card. The ads can be the last chance to retain unidentified shoppers before they leave the cart page, to arrange flash sales, to capitalize on cross-selling or upselling, etc.
The Bundle Offer Use Case for Popups
Bundles are the offering type that lets shop owners increase the average cost of a transaction by selling a set of related items as a package. The Advanced Bundle Products plugin from the Shopify app store allows merchants to create popups promoting bundled goods and to integrate the promos smoothly into the shopping flow.
With the app, building a bundle offer popup takes the three easy steps:
- Download and install the plugin from the Shopify store. The Mageworx crew will be happy to provide assistance with the installation—for no fee.
- Select a parent product and related items from your stock to create a bundle offer and link them together, following the instructions.
- Enable the display of the resulting offering as a popup by selecting the appropriate option in the Bundle settings section.
Once you’ve completed the above steps, you can use the following capabilities of the Advanced Bundle Products plugin to configure the popup for your purposes:
- You can set the offer to appear on individual pages of all products in a bundle. In this way, you ensure the promo is visible in multiple locations across the website but is always relevant.
- You can choose the ad to be expanded to catch customers’ attention or collapsed to a side button not to bother shop visitors.
- You can vary the popup title and the name of the call-to-action button to match your objectives. For instance, if you want to emphasize the reduced price, the wording may be like: “BUY THE PRODUCTS TOGETHER AND SAVE!” In case your idea is to promote related items based on general customer preferences, the text may be as follows: “CUSTOMERS ALSO VIEW.”
- You can specify a discount to make the purchase of a whole set more enticing, showing buyers their potential savings—for each item and in total. Shoppers can also observe how the subtotal amount changes, depending on the quantity of selected merchandise in a bundle if you enable the option in the app settings.
- The app allows you to trace each individual item in a bundle package throughout the stock flows, excluding it automatically from the display when it is no longer available. It not only simplifies the inventory management but also helps avoid having to apologize to customers for a product being suddenly out of stock. In addition, you can set a text to notify shoppers that a particular item has been sold out.
- Shop administrators can visualize the offer by adding thumbnail pictures to each product in a bundle. The app keeps the pics small enough not to distract attention from the main item but representative of goods in the package. Customers can also view the merchandise full-size by clicking the images.
- The plugin allows Shopify store owners to create custom designs for bundle popups. It is possible to vary the color of buttons and other display elements and the position of the ad relative to the parent product.
- To build advanced designs, there’s the option of integrating customized CSS styles.
- The app lets you configure a wide range of texts to guide customers through the shopping flow from a bundle page to the cart. Prompting in a clear manner helps shoppers understand what’s going on at every moment along the way and how to fix a particular problem. As a result, consumers leave the store with a good impression, while you remain with a pool of potentially loyal clients.
- To ensure that people visiting your Shopify store make it to the shopping cart from popups, you can set the Add to cart button to be displayed for each product in a bundle.
- The plugin makes it possible for shop owners to configure the minimum and maximum quantities of items in a bundle. This can be a good flash-sales opportunity or a nice way of targeting wholesalers.
- With the app, you can vary the price display for bundles in your Shopify store—hide it from a popup or specify it as the “Starting At” amount.
- The Shopify plugin features cross-device compatibility. Bundle popups created with it provide a smooth customer journey for both the desktop and mobile audiences.
To view Advanced Bundle Products in action, visit the Shopify app store page.
The popup use case above is a great example of how Shopify merchants can increase profit by utilizing cross-selling opportunities. Bundles are not only good for incentivizing customers to leave more money in your store but also to make the assortment visible. By grouping products into bundled sets, you can familiarize buyers with novelties and promote low-demand items. This also helps the clientele to get to know the store range, avoiding the trouble of browsing through multiple pages.
With the Advanced Bundle Products plugin, Shopify merchants get access to a set of tools enabling them to design recommendations to exact business needs and the target audience. The app is easy to install, boasts a user-friendly configuration interface, and is affordable to any store size. Plus, you have the advantage of a seven-day free trial to check how it works out for you. It’s just you have to remember: the magic is not in the tool but in how you apply it. So, be careful not to overdo it with customer guidance!